Advanced Customizing of Atahualpa WordPress Theme

Atahualpa from Bytes For All just might be the most impressive free WordPress theme available to date.

Much like the Thesis theme from DIY Themes, you get a complete back-end interface for customizing the theme. However, Thesis starts at $87 for the Personal license, and Atahualpa is free.

The most important thing to know about how to customize Atahualpa is that you can create your own PHP templates for pages such as multi-post archives (including category & tag pages), search results, single posts, etc. People are often confused by the fact that the theme does not come with templates such as archive.php, search.php, single.php and others that you might expect, but what is not entirely obvious is that you can create these templates and upload them, and WordPress will automatically use them.

Take for instance one of the most popular questions asked about customizing Atahualpa in the BFA Forum. How do I get Atahualpa to display full posts on archive pages instead of post excerpts? The answer is diabolically simple. Just download the index.php file from Atahualpa and save it as archive.php. Remove the part of the template that calls in The WordPress Loop:

<?php /* This is the actual WordPress LOOP.
The output can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */
bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_inside_loop']); ?>

and replace it with loop code from the archive.php of a theme that displays full posts on the archive pages, such as the WordPress Default theme:

<div <?php post_class() ?>>
<h3 id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>"><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark" title="Permanent Link to <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3>
<small><?php the_time('l, F jS, Y') ?></small>
<div class="entry">
<?php the_content() ?>
</div>
<p class="postmetadata"><?php the_tags('Tags: ', ', ', '<br />'); ?> Posted in <?php the_category(', ') ?> | <?php edit_post_link('Edit', '', ' | '); ?> <?php comments_popup_link('No Comments »', '1 Comment »', '% Comments »'); ?></p>
</div>

You can edit this code as well. One thing you might want to do is replace <div class="entry"> with <div class="post-bodycopy"> so that the body text will follow the styling guidelines set by Atahualpa.

If you don’t want to display the time & date above the post, simply move or remove <small><?php the_time('l, F jS, Y') ?></small>. If you don’t want the meta data to appear below your posts, simply remove that whole paragraph.

If you are familiar with WordPress coding, then you know that <?php the_content() ?> is what displays the full post content.

When you are finished editing, just upload your new file and WordPress will recognize and use it.

This also applies to using plugins that require you to add a piece of PHP code to one of your template files that Atahualpa does not come with. If the template doesn’t exist, just create it, upload it, and WordPress will use it.

Diabolically simple, yet not obvious…

This article copyright © John Nasta 2010 – All Rights Reserved
Be Sociable, Share!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

18 Comments »

• Wilf Staton says:

Hi great tips you have given and I love the Atahualpa theme.

I have hit a bit of a problem with version 3.7.12.

I used to be able to remove the comments form in the options but now It seems to have been removed.

Got any ideas

Wilf.

• Shalu Sharma says:

Just wondering how to remove the date and time from posts.

• Dave Parks says:

When I try to follow your advice, at this spot

I find this message — “Since 3.6.5 custom PHP code isn’t possible anymore in the Atahualpa Theme Options.”

Since I’m a novice at this, perhaps I’m clicking in the wrong spot. At any rate, I would appreciate learning more from you about this.

• John Nasta says:

I don’t know what advice you are referring to. Keep in mind that the post may predate your version of Atahualpa. You may want to ask your question in the BFA Forums.

• DeRedes says:

It’s the best theme, very customize and free.

• Juggledad says:

actually it is easier than that. Go to the Atahualpa Theme Options->Configure EXCERPTS->Posts or excerpts on ARCHIVE pages? and set it to ‘Full Posts’.

This has been available since since prion to version 3.4.3 (it’s currently at 3.7.1)

• John Nasta says:

That’s what happens when blog posts get old. Eventually the information becomes outdated. Thanks for all of the help you provide in the BFA forums.

• Sudipto says:

Very informative. I am myself a Atahualpa theme lover. Wanted to share one of my Atahualpa theme design / skin. Its free to use by anyone. http://letusbuzz.com/category/theme-designs/

• Lisa M Lane says:

In the theme options, there is a “Configure Excerpts” and it lets you set it at full posts instead of excerpts for archives (or anything else).

• ABCDiamond says:

I have one simple question, where exactly does this new template (Just download the index.php file from Atahualpa and save it as archive.php) actually get saved ?
    I have just tried this, but it did nothing, as far as I can tell.

I am attempting to create something where I can select a POST with no left sidebar. The main theme appears to allow PAGES to do that, but POSTS ?

• John Nasta says:

The new template gets saved in the same folder as index.php. If you don’t modify it, there will not be any visible change.

In the theme options there is a way to turn off the sidebars for all posts but (at least in the free version) there is no option to do that only on selected posts. You can’t turn off sidebars by creating new templates because the sidebars are not called from within the template.

• TheGtrsr1 says:

Thank you for this post, although it wasn’t directly related to what I was looking for it lit a light bulb and lead to figuring out the problem I had. So in case anyone else is having the same problem, here it is.

I was attempting to get a table formatted by my custom PHP code in the template to look like that formatted by my theme (Atahualpa). To do so all you need to do is two things.

Make sure you have your content wrapped with:

-AND-

Do NOT format the table. Leave it as a plain table without any additional markup and that should get it to work (at least with Atahualpa).

Happy WordPressing!

• John Nasta says:

Unfortunately you can’t post code in the comments. I’m not sure what you were trying to accomplish. I have clients who use tables w/ Atahualpa and there are no problems.